Of the 7 billion people in the world today, only 1 billion are Christian (according to the most generous estimates). That means that 6 billion people who inhabit our planet are lost in darkness and sin. Of these 6 billion who are lost, over 3.5 billion have never heard the gospel of Jesus Christ. There are 16,699 people groups in the world, and 6,900 of them are considered unreached. We believe that Jesus deserves to receive worship from every one of these people from every tribe, tongue, and nation, and we believe that this will be accomplished as our church fulfills the Great Commission of making disciples of all nations (see Matthew 28:18-20).
Scriptural Call to Global Mission
1 Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. 2 And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
Area of Focus for Global Mission: India & Dominican Republic
- Population (2010): 1,214,464,312 (almost 4 times the
population of the U.S.A, which is 308,745,538)
- 45 cities with over 1 million people
- 2 Largest Cities are Delhi (22,156,810) and Mumbai (20,040,868) (2 Largest cities in the U.S.A. are New York [8,175,133] and Los Angeles [3,792,621])
- In India, 900,000 people per year die as a result of drinking unclean water or breathing polluted air.
- Approximately 1 out of every 10 children in India are orphans.
- Of India’s 2,549 people groups, 2,237 are unreached.
- India contains the world’s highest number of poor and unevangelized people.
Here is a video explaining our mission work in India.
- Population: 10.22 million
- Second largest Caribbean nation after Cuba.
- More than a third of the Dominican Republic lives on less than $1.25 a day.
- It is estimated that as many as 1 million Haitians immigrants live in the Dominican Republic. Haitians have been reported to work in slavery-like conditions and are severely exploited.
- 40% of children are uneducated. Many families encourage their children to drop out of school and work full time to increase household finances.
- Major Religion: Roman Catholicism
India-April 24 to May13
Leader: David Davis
From April 24 to May 13 Calvary church member David Davis will be working in India with our IMB missionary partners. If you would like to consider joining David for that entire three week span or a week or two during that time frame, please let us know. The work on this trip will involve doing evangelism among unreached people groups and training networks of house church pastors in how to study the Bible. Cost for this trip will be around $2,500. Please contact Pastor Grant (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’re interested.
Dominican Republic-June 26 to July 3
Leader: Gary Snuffin
We are excited to begin new work in the Dominican Republic. Participants on this trip will work primarily with The Hispaniola Institute of Theology. HIT exists to train Haitian pastor/leaders living in the Dominica Republic to equip their congregation for the work of the ministry. In addition to leading training for local pastors, participants will focus on local evangelism and specific tasks needed by local churches. Cost will be $1,300 to $1,500. Space is limited. Please contact Pastor Gary (email@example.com) if you’re interested.
Disaster Relief on As Needed Basis
Leader: Doc Turner
We will be launching a disaster relief team in 2017 that will work in connection with the North American Mission Board and the Tennessee Baptist Convention. Along with many other teams from churches around the country, our team will respond to natural disasters by aiding in clean up and restoration efforts as well as sharing the gospel with people who have been affected. A training session will be held at Calvary on Saturday, January 21 for anyone interested. You must be 18 years of age. Please sign up on the board in the main hallway. Please contact Doc Turner (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you’re interested.
For more information on how to get involved in Calvary’s global mission work, call the church at 668-8619 or email our church secretary at email@example.com.