Last month Pastor Grant followed up a sermon from Father’s Day with a blog post emphasizing the details of Family Worship. In the article, he outlined three basic elements to Family Worship: Read, Pray, Sing. There are several ways to do this in your setting, but Pastor Grant gave specifics as to how he leads his family in worship throughout the week. Whatever shape it takes, keep it simple…just read, pray, and sing.
Here at Calvary, our church is committed to assisting parents in raising children who become mature worshippers of God. In fact, one of our core values at Calvary is Enriching Families:
We want to be a church that enriches families. Healthy family units are vital for the spiritual well-being of both the Christian individual and the church as a whole. We desire to teach and equip in such a way that marriages are strengthened and the parenting task is supplemented. We envision a community in which families are enriched.
Family Worship Plan
I (Pastor Gary) know you’re probably saying, “So what does all this have to do with me?” Well I’m glad you asked. We want to assist each family in developing a Family Worship Plan. I believe, (and I’m sure you do as well), that God deserves our praise and worship. Honestly, that should be enough motivation for Family Worship, but in case it’s not ask yourself these questions about Family Worship:
- Is there a better way to speak the gospel into your children’s lives everyday?
- Is there a better way to provide a regular time for your children to learn the things of God from you?
- Is there a better way for you to transmit your core beliefs to your children?
- Is there a better way for your children to see the ongoing, positive spiritual example of their parents in real life?
- Is there a better way for getting your family together on a daily basis?
- Isn’t this what you really want to do?
What Do I Do?
Whether you are beginning Family Worship for the first time or if you have been faithfully leading Family Worship in your home for years I am asking for your help. As a church, we would like to strongly encourage each family to participate in Family Worship in the coming months.
Here’s how you can help your family and your fellow church members.
- READ – Read the helpful resource, “Family Worship” by Donald Whitney. This short book will answer most of your questions about Family Worship. These are available for free in the church office. (One copy per family)
- PLAN – Take the remainder of July to develop your Family Worship Plan. Answer these few questions:
- When will your family worship together?
- Where will your family worship together?
- How will you Read?
- How will you Pray?
- Will the same person pray each day?
- Will you rotate?
- Will you keep a prayer journal?
- Will you use a prayer guide? Which one?
- How will you Sing?
- Do you play an instrument?
- Will you use a CD? Which one?
- What songs will you sing?
- How many days a week are you planning on meeting?
- DEVELOP – You will receive an email with these basic questions about your plan. Please respond to this email giving the details of your plan by August 1.
- SHARE – These emails with Family Worship Plans will be compiled and organized to be used as a helpful resource to families in the future. All plans will be anonymous and will be redistributed in hopes of encouraging our families. Undoubtedly, there will be things learned after looking over the plans of our fellow church families.
- PRAY – Pray for the families of Calvary. Pray that God would be worshipped and glorified through these times of Family Worship. Pray that we would faithfully “teach God’s Word diligently to our children” (Deuteronomy 6:7), and “bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4).
- START – Get started!
I can’t wait to get started on this project. If you have any questions along the way feel free to contact me at any time. I look forward to seeing how God uses these times of Family Worship!